Variables are attributes you use to describe and structure information about your clients (for example, their name, date of birth, country of residence, etc). Variables help you personalize your broadcasts: using them, you can address a client by their name, mention some products they use, set up an ad broadcast that will launch a couple of days before their birthday, etc.
Examples of variables: client’s first name, car model, pet’s name, contract end date, number of credit cards, etc.
When you add a client to edna, you can specify their general information. Based on that, edna assigns them with the following default variables:
- Phone number (this is also the most important client’s identifier in the system)
- First name
- Last name
- Patronymic (if applicable)
- Date of birth
Apart from the default ones, you can add as many user variables as you need to define your clients with attributes that fit your business processes. If a client already has user variables assigned to them, you can see them on the Variables tab. There you can also easily update or remove them, if necessary.
edna uses four types of variables: number, string, date, and a boolean value.
Specifiying a Client’s Default Variables
You specify the default variables a bit differently for an individual client that you add and for a client list that you upload.
- For an individual client that you add using the Audience page, all the general details that you fill in become the default variables. For more information on how to add a client, refer to the Adding an Individual Client article.
- For a client list, you specify the default variables for the whole list at once by selecting a required variable name for each of the columns of the list. For more details on this process, refer to the Adding a List of Clients article.
Adding a User Variable
- On the Audience page, select an existing client or create a new one.
- On the Variables tab, click Assign Variable.
- In the Assign variable window, click Name of variable > Create a variable.
- Specify the name of the variable, select its type from the drop-down, and click Add.
The new variable is ready, you can now use it for any client or list of client you add.
- Specify the variable’s Value based on the type you selected for the current client.
- Click Add and close the confirmation message.
- Save the changes.